Every teacher needs to pass Praxis core exams before they can earn their teaching credentials. According to the ETS, these tests are written by fellow educators in order to ensure all new teachers understand the concepts that they’re expected to teach their students.
It can be tough to reach this stage in your education, but this last step doesn’t have to be a difficult one. There are many online Praxis prep courses that can help increase your chances of passing without spending a lot of money.
I’ve researched what’s currently available and found the best and most affordable Praxis practice tests, study guides, and other online materials.
The following Praxis prep courses are the best of the best. Each of them offers a great set of study materials that can dramatically increase your chances of passing on your first try.
See our course comparisons and study guide reviews below!
1. Magoosh Praxis Study Guide Materials
Magoosh offers a great blend of video lessons and practice problems to create an effective self study course.
Magoosh Praxis Course Details
Magoosh’s course consists of several self study materials intended to prepare you for the Praxis core test. Most of your study time will be taken up by the video lessons and interactive practice tests.
Each video lesson covers a major course concept by breaking them down into smaller lessons. Those are then reinforced with a series of practice quizzes. On top of that, each practice question comes with a detailed video explanation for the answer.
There are 2 options when choosing a Magoosh course. The first is to take the math only option for $79. Doing so grants you access to 80 video lessons and 120 practice questions. Bear in mind that this option only prepares you for the math Praxis exam. Alternatively, you can pay for the $99 premium course and gain access to everything this course has to offer— which is what we recommend!
Magoosh Praxis Course Features
- 6 Months of Access
- 175 Video Lessons
- 350 Practice Questions
- Personalized Dashboard
- Email Assistance From Tutors
Magoosh Pros & Cons
- Video Lessons: Magoosh offers up to 175 video lessons. Each lesson makes complicated concepts easier to understand and approach through an engaging and easy to understand visual teaching style. Plus, they are available on demand, so you can watch and rewatch them whenever you like.
- High Quality Questions: Every video lesson is reinforced by a set of practice test prep questions. Completing these helps you understand important concepts and is a great way to get used to the exam format ahead of time. That way, you can hit the ground running when it’s time to take the real thing!
- Affordable: One of Magoosh’s best points is how affordable their course is. Full access to all the materials only costs $99, which gives you 6 months of access to hundreds of practice problems. It’s the best Praxis prep course to prepare for the Praxis exam without having to break the bank.
2. Kaplan Praxis Practice Tests Review
Kaplan helps their students learn test taking skills by giving them almost 20 full length practice tests.
Kaplan Course Details
Kaplan prepares you for the Praxis exam by asking you to complete a series of practice exams. These resources make it easy to get used to the format and content of the exam. You’re able to build test taking strategies ahead of time and test them on practice Praxis tests. Plus, you’ll easily identify and focus on areas you need additional help in.
Kaplan currently has 2 paid prep course options. The first is the standard Praxis test prep course for $399. Purchasing this gives you the online practice tests and video instruction. If you want a little more, the prep course plus option costs $499 and gives you an additional 7.5 hours of instruction based around the math foundations course. This is the best option if you struggle with math— it could even mean the difference between passing on your first try or having to retake the exam later.
Kaplan Praxis Course Features
- 2,000+ Practice Questions
- 19 Full Length Practice Exams
- Kaplan Praxis Prep Book
- Detailed Video Explanations
- Hours of Praxis Video Instruction
Kaplan Pros & Cons
- No Live Content: Unfortunately, Kaplan doesn’t have any live course content included in their Praxis courses. That may not be a deal breaker if you prefer self study courses, but it’s still good to know before signing up.
3. Teacher’s Test Prep Praxis Online Course
Teacher’s Test Prep Praxis Course Details
First, Teacher’s Test Prep gives you a series of video tutoring sessions that walk through a practice exam. You’re then asked to complete written response sections that will be graded by professional graders. At the same time, you can access content summaries that will help you quickly learn and apply the knowledge of each course section.
Prices for this course are based on which practice test you plan on taking— but you’ll typically need to pay about $225 for a full course. Alternatively, you could pay extra for tutoring sessions, but availability for those is once again based on which test you take.
Teacher’s Test Prep Course Features
- Core Videos & Slideshows
- Test Tutoring Videos
- Advanced Diagnostics
- Written Response Feedback
Teacher’s Test Prep Pros & Cons
- Limited Tutoring: Tutoring for this course is only available for the highest payment tier and is fairly limited. You’ll only receive 2 hours of tutoring per sub-test. In light of that, I’d recommend Magoosh or a different course if you feel you really need tutoring.
4. Khan Academy Best Praxis Study Guides
Khan Academy Praxis Course Details
Khan Academy is the first free course on this list. They prepare you for the exam by creating a personalized practice plan for you. Following this will ensure that you learn every aspect of the exam at a pace that’s comfortable for you. You’ll mainly learn via instructional videos and practice questions, and each question gives you immediate feedback after being completed.
Khan Academy accepts donations, but they don’t require them for access to their course. This makes them a decent supplement to one of the full-length courses lissted above.
Khan Academy Prep Course Features
- Personal Practice Plan
- Instructional Videos
- Practice Exams
- Immediate Feedback
- Guaranteed Score Increase
Khan Academy Pros & Cons
- No Live Content: This is entirely a self study course— there’s no live content and no way to contact your professors for additional help. That’s understandable considering the free nature of the program, but still a little disappointing.
5. Urban Teachers Praxis Practice Exams
Urban Teachers Praxis Course Details
Just like Khan Academy, Urban Teachers offers a free Praxis course. However, it’s only based on the Praxis Core Math exam. To start, they ask you to participate in a personalized assessment. From there, they can focus on the content areas where you need the most help. Thanks to that, you’re always working on shoring up your weaknesses.
As stated before, this course is completely free. However, if you feel helped by this course you can donate to the site.
Urban Teachers Praxis Course Features
- Video and Text Lessons
- Practice Exams
- Free Course Content
- Personalized Assessment
Urban Teachers Pros & Cons
- Math Only: Urban Teachers currently only provides Math prep for the Praxis Core exam. Anyone interested in other subjects will need to look elsewhere for the training that they need. Still, this is a good course if you’re focused on a career in math.
Praxis Exam FAQs
Q: What happens if I fail the Praxis exam?
A: If you fail the test, you are welcome to retake it 21 days later. There is no limit to the number of attempts you can take.
Q: How much does the Praxis test cost?
A: The Praxis test costs $150. Individual subject assessments range from $50 to $199.